Sunday, January 28, 2007

Red Velvet Cupcakes

MAKES 36 CUPCAKES OR 72 MINI CUPCAKES



The first time I had a Red Velvet cupcake was one bought from The Hummingbird Bakery at Portobello, Notting Hill, London. I was in heaven (smile). The first time I made it, I forgot to put the vinegar-soda mix to the batter at the end. I was halfway through putting the batter in the paper liners. I panicked and decided to mix it in anyway - majority into the batter bowl and dropplets into the batter that I had already put in the paper liners. Disaster! The cake tasted like bitter guord !

RED VELVET CUPCAKES WITH HEART CANDIES

This time, I decided to try Sara Neumeier's Red Velvet cupcake because of positive reviews it received on Amazon. Then, I looked at other cupcake recipes and all of them used baking soda and vinegar. Then again, I read that those are not necessary because sour cream is acidic enough to give the cake the texture and body. But just to keep to the true nature of Red Velvet, I decided to experiment by using the good recipe from Sara and adding those ingredients that are not there. I adjusted a few things. Those in asterisks are the ones I added or adjusted. As for the red colour, I used Wilton Red tasteless red color paste. Overall, very happy with the end result.


2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 or 3* tablespoons cocoa

1 teaspoon baking powder*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Red food coloring (To a shade of red that you like)
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk

1 1/2 teaspoon vinegar*

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line cupcake tins with baking papers. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy and light. Add the vanilla. Add enough food coloring to turn the mixture to deep red; beat to combine. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. *Combine buttermilk, and vinegar, Whisk well together. Alternatively add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Fill each baking paper two-third full. Bake until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let them cool completely before icing with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting and heart candy/fondant. Also good, with Vanilla Butter Icing.

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
3-5 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.






- NAKED RED VELVET CUPCAKES

No comments: